F103 - Herpes Zoster: Controversies and Conundrums in Treatment and Prevention
Sunday, February 18; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Summarize the pathogenesis and key clinical features of herpes zoster, including unique presentations in special patient populations.
- Identify the best treatment regimens for herpes zoster based on recent literature, including evidence for and against measures to manage post-herpetic neuralgia.
- Outline, using case scenarios, systems-based prevention strategies for herpes zoster in health care institutions, including updated vaccination guidelines and hospital isolation policies.
During an inpatient consult for herpes zoster, have you ever been approached by a frantic staff or family member, worried that a pregnant contact will be 'infected' if they get too close? What about the risk of having herpes zoster twice? Should they be vaccinated? What are the costs and side effects? In what timeline should antiviral therapy be employed? Is there evidence for prednisone or gabapentin?
In case-based form, these and other complex but common scenarios will be examined using viral mechanistic and clinical clues and updated prevention and treatment guidelines for diverse populations.
- High, Whitney A., MD, JD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Leslie, Kieron S., MBBS: Navidea Biopharmaceuticals, Inc – I(S);
- Oza, Vikash Sudhir, MD: Cutanea Life Sciences – A(H); Pfizer Inc. – A(Fees); Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – A(H);
- Rosamilia, Lorraine L., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Tyring, Stephen K., MD, PhD: Agenus Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); AiCuris GmbH & Co. KG – I(Grants/Research Funding); Genocea Biosciences – I(Grants/Research Funding); Merck & Co., Inc – I(Grants/Research Funding); Nycomed Amersham – I(Grants/Research Funding); Vical Incorporated – I(Grants/Research Funding);
Sunday, February 18
Dr. Rosamilia / Introduction/Common Zoster Presentations
Dr. High / Zoster Diagnostics
Dr. Oza / Zoster in the Pediatric Population
Dr. Leslie / Zoster in the Immunocompromised
Dr. Rosamilia / Zoster Treatment Options
Dr. Tyring / Zoster Vaccination
Dr. Rosamilia / Medical Institutional Policies on Zoster/Conclusion