F039 - Dietary Triggers and Modifications of Common Dermatologic Conditions – An Evidence Based Approach
Friday, March 1; 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize conceptions and misconceptions about foods in atopic dermatitis, follicular disorders (acne, hidradenitis suppurativa, rosacea), autoimmune skin disorders, and skin aging.
- Describe the processes that impact these conditions, including intestinal barrier disruption, oxidation, inflammation, and glycation, and evaluate key evidences on dietary modification to counteract them.
- Generate dietary plans that can augment the benefit of prescription topical and systemic modalities.
The role of food allergies and elimination diets will be discussed in atopic dermatitis. Foods that induce follicular occlusion and inflammation will be highlighted, incorporating the tie between insulin and mTOR pathways for acne and hidradenitis suppurativa, and the TRPV receptors for rosacea. Dietary inducers and protectants of autoimmune skin diseases, particular psoriasis, vitiligo, and bullous diseases will be reviewed. Avoidance of dietary advanced glycation end products (AGEs) to combat degeneration of collagen, elastic, and extracellular matrix in skin aging will be discussed. Evidence-based discussion of novel therapies (including nutraceuticals) for skin aging will be provided.
- Katta, Rajani, MD: Vichy Laboratoires – A(H);
- Lio, Peter A., MD: AbbVie – C(Fees), I(Grants/Research Funding); Altus Labs – A(SO); Amyris, Inc. – C(Fees); AOBiome, LLC – I(Grants/Research Funding); Arbonne – A(H); Burt's Bees – C(Fees); Dermavant Sciences – A(H); Dermira – C(Fees); DermTap, Inc. – A(SO); DermVeda – A(SO); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Exeltis – C(Fees); Franklin BioScience – C(SO); gpower, inc. – A(H); IntraDerm Pharmaceuticals – A(H); Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Company – A(H); Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. – C(H); L'Oreal USA Inc. – C(H); La Fondation pour la Dermatite Atopique (Foundation for Atopic Dermatitis – I(Grants/Research Funding); La Roche-Posay Laboratorie Pharmaceutique – SP(H); LearnHealth/LearnSkin – SH(SO); LEO Laboratories Ltd (LEO Pharma) – C(Fees); Medable – SH(SO); Menlo Therapeutics – A(H); Micreos Human Health B.V. – A(SO); Modernizing Medicine – A(NC), SH(SO); National Eczema Association – A(NC); Odeza LLC – C(SO); Pfizer Inc. – SP(H); Pierre Fabre Dermatologie – SP(H); Realm Therapeutics – A(H); Regeneron – A(Fees), I(Grants/Research Funding), SP(Fees); Sanofi US Services – A(H); Syncere Skin Systems – A(SO); Theraplex – C(Fees), O(IP); TopMD – C(Fees); UCB – A(H); Unilever – C(Fees); Verrica Pharmaceuticals Inc – A(H);
- Rupani, Reena N., MD: Nutrafol – SP(H);
- Shi, Vivian, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Dr. Shi / Introduction
Dr. Lio / Diet and Atopic Dermatitis
Dr. Shi / Diet and Pilosebacoeus Disorders (Acne, Rosacea, and Hidradenitis Suppurativa)
Dr. Rupani / Diet and Autoimmune Skin Conditions
Dr. Katta / Diet and Skin Aging
All faculty / Q&A