F067 - Where do We Stand? The Pathogenesis and Treatment of Melasma
Saturday, March 2; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Succinctly review new data on the pathogenesis of melasma.
- Discuss treatment options including photoprotection, topical lightening agents, oral agents and emerging therapies.
- Review resurfacing modalities, as well as discussing the risk/benefit ratios of each procedure.
Melasma is indeed a global disorder of major cosmetic significance. It negatively impacts the quality of life of patients. The pathogenesis of melasma is indeed complex. Multiple recent studies document the interplay of genetics, inflammation, oxidative stress, abnormal vascular responses, and sensitivity to hormones in the pathogenesis of this disorder. While there are no cures, multiple new therapies offer significant improvement. This forum will review the most recent global advances in the pathogenesis and treatment of melasma. Therapies to be reviewed include sunscreens, topical agents, and oral agents including tranexamic acid, chemical peels, micro needling, lasers, and light sources.
This activity has been approved by the American Board of Dermatology (ABD) for up to 20 MOC Component 2 Self-Assessment points. For more information about MOC, please visit the ABD website at www.abderm.org.
- Arellano-Mendoza, Maria Ivonne, MD: Bioderma – SP(H); Galderma Laboratories, LP – A(H); Pierre Fabre Dermo Cosmetique France – A(H); Sanfer, S.L. – SP(H);
- Desai, Seemal R., MD: AbbVie – I(Grants/Research Funding); Almirall – C(Fees), SP(H); Cassiopea SpA – C(H); Dermavant Sciences – A(Fees); Dermira – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding), SP(H); Dr. Reddy – I(Grants/Research Funding); Foundation for Research & Education of Dermatology – A(Fees); Galderma Laboratories, LP – C(Fees); Menlo Therapeutics – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Ortho Dermatologics – C(H), SP(H); Pfizer Inc. – SP(H); Ralexar Therapeutics, Inc – I(Grants/Research Funding); Scientis – C(H), SP(H); SkinCeuticals LLC – C(H);
- Elbuluk, Nada, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Grimes, Pearl E., MD: Allergan, Inc. – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Clinuvel – I(H); Derm Tech International – I(NC); Incyte Corporation – I(Grants/Research Funding); Laseroptek USA – I(Grants/Research Funding); Procter & Gamble Company – C(H); Suneva Medical, Inc. – I(H); VT Technologies – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Wambier, Carlos, MD: Allergan, Inc. – A(Fees); Cynosure – Speaker/Faculty Education(Fees); Galderma Brasil Ltda – SP(Fees);
Saturday, March 2
Dr. Grimes / Pathogenesis of Melasma
Dr. Arellano-Mendoza / Topical and Oral Photoprotection
Dr. Elbuluk / Topical Lightening Agents
Dr. Desai / Tranexamic Acid
Dr. Grimes / Chemical Peels & Microneedling
Dr. Wambier / Medium Depth Peeling/ Laser and Light Source
All faculty / Q&A