F088 - Bias on Both Sides of the White Coat: Understanding Patient and Physician Biases
Sunday, March 3; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize the impact of unconscious bias on both patients and providers
- Examine ways to mitigate unconscious bias
- Discuss strategies to deal with bias directed toward providers
Patient and clinician biases, including unconscious biases, can impact patient care ranging from how patients access care to patient-provider relationships. Unconscious or implicit biases are attitudes outside our awareness—race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, weight, age, social class, and others.
This session will focus on how bias can affect both patient and providers, how providers can become more aware of their own biases, and strategies for dealing with patient biases towards providers.
- Fox, Matthew C., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Salazar, Rene, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.