F093 - Red Flags and Emergencies in Dermatology
Sunday, March 3; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Make an initial diagnosis, identify a critical situation, red flags and emergencies.
- Identify the pathological events and causes of acute life-threatening cutaneous disease.
- Recognize the urgent and appropriate interventions needed and, be well-informed on new and modern treatments of acute life-threatening cutaneous disease.
It is generally — and erroneously — believed that the field of dermatology does not include life-threatening situations. The truth is that the dermatology unit is no stranger to life-threatening skin diseases, and dermatologists are not spared the possibility of needing to deal with severely sick patients. Indeed, dermatologists are frequently the first physicians to examine the patient, thus becoming responsible for making the initial diagnosis of grave conditions requiring urgent attention. The present session will provide descriptions of a selection of such diseases with the aim of guiding dermatologists in rapid and accurate diagnostic decision-making.
- Benedetto, Anthony V., DO: Allergan, Inc. – I(Fees), SH(ST), SP(H); Astellas Pharma US, Inc – SH(ST); BioDelivery Systems, Inc. – SH(SO); Bristol-Myers Squibb – SH(ST); Brothers Healthcare – B(NC); Castle Biosciences, Inc – A(H); DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – SP(H); Elan – SH(ST); Excaliard Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – C(H); Ipsen – SP(H); Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Company – C(H); Liposonix – SP(H); Lumenis – SP(H); Merz Pharmaceuticals, LLC – C(H), SP(H); Osyris Medical USA – SP(H); sanofi-aventis – SH(ST); Shire – C(H); Stratapharma – C(H), I(H), SP(H);
- Parish, Lawrence C., MD: Actavis – I(Grants/Research Funding); Allergan, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Boehringer Ingelheim – I(Grants/Research Funding); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Grants/Research Funding); Galderma USA – I(Grants/Research Funding); Glenmark Generics Inc. – C(H); Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Rosen, Theodore, MD: Foamix – A(H); Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – C(H); Menlo Therapeutics – A(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – C(H);
- Shear, Neil H., MD: AbbVie – A(H); Actelion – SP(H); Amgen – A(Grants/Research Funding); Biogen – A(H); Celgene Corporation – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – A(H); Janssen-Ortho Inc. – C(H), SP(H); Leo Pharma Inc – C(H); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – A(H), C(H); Sanofi/Regeneron – A(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – A(H);
- Silverberg, Nanette Blythe, MD: Pfizer Inc. – Speaker/Faculty Education(H); Regeneron – A(H); regeneron – SP(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – A(H);
- Wolf, Ronni, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Dr. Wolf / Introduction
Dr. Rosen / The Eschar: Sign of Life-threatening Disorders
Dr. Rosen / Questions & Answers
Dr. Silverberg / Serious and Life-Threatening Cutaneous Conditions in Neonates and Children
Dr. Silverberg / Questions & Answers
Dr. Shear / Severe, Acute Adverse Cutaneous Drug Reactions
Dr. Shear / Questions & Answers
Dr. Parish / Erythroderma: Diagnosing and Treating the “Red Man”
Dr. Parish / Questions & Answers
Dr. Benedetto / Catastrophes in Cosmetic Procedures
Dr. Benedetto / Questions & Answers