F102 - Psychocutaneous Disease: Treating the Difficult Patient
Sunday, March 3; 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe common psychocutaneous diseases and recognize the associated psychiatric/psychosocial comorbidities.
- Discuss how to establish a working alliance with the patient who has psychocutaneous disease and most effectively involve the psychiatrist in management.
- Develop appropriate management plans, including effective drugs and psychotherapies, for the difficult patient with psychocutaneous disease.
Common psychocutaneous diseases include delusional infestation, dermatitis artefacta (factitious skin disorder), body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), and skin picking disorder (SPD). Affected patients routinely refuse psychiatric referral, and therefore, the burden of care often falls exclusively upon the dermatologist. The session will focus on the management of such conditions in the difficult patient. Speakers will cover management of BDD, SPD, and psychogenic itch, challenging cases and psychopharmacology, and lessons from the Psychodermatology Clinic. Pearls for treating the difficult patient will be discussed. Complex cases will be presented in an interactive way.
- Fried, Richard G., MD, PhD: Allergan, Inc. – SP(H); Centocor Ortho Biotech Inc. – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Fees); Galderma Laboratories, L.P. – SP(H); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(Fees); Johnson and Johnson Consumer Products Company – A(H); Merz Aesthetics – I(EQ); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – Speaker/Faculty Education(H);
- Koo, John Y. M., MD: AbbVie – SP(H); Celgene Corporation – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – SP(H); Leo Pharma Inc. – SP(H); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – SP(H); Ortho Dermatologics – SP(H); Pfizer Inc. – C(Fees); Regeneron – SP(H); Sanofi – SP(H); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – SP(H); UCB – SP(H);
- Kroumpouzos, George, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Magid, Michelle, MD: Allergan, Inc – C(Fees); Ipsen – SP(H);
- Reichenberg, Jason S., MD: Allergan, Inc – A(H);
- Rieder, Evan, MD: BMS – C(Fees); UCB – Data Safety Monitoring Board(Fees); Unilever – C(Fees);
Dr. Kroumpouzos / Introduction
Dr. Koo / Categorizing Psychodermatological Disorders: Separating "Apples" from "Oranges"
Dr. Fried / Skin Picking Disorder
Dr. Kroumpouzos / Body Dysmorphic Disorder in the Cosmetic Practice
/ Q&A for Drs. Koo, Fried, and Kroumpouzos
Dr. Reichenberg / Lessons from the Psychodermatology Clinic
Dr. Rieder / Psychocutaneous Disease: the Patient Perspective
Dr. Magid / Top 10 Pearls for Treating the Difficult Patient
/ Q&A for Drs. Rieder, Reichenberg and Magid