C007 - Structure and Function of the Skin: Cancer, Immunity and Inflammation
Friday, March 1; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- List key cell types (and the cytokines that they produce) of the immune system that are responsible for immunological diseases such as psoriasis
- Describe the role of the immune system in combating key microbial pathogens such as S. aureus.
- Identify key mechanisms by which the immune system interacts with cancer cells to either promote or prevent cancer growth.
This session focuses on recent advances in immunity as they related to our understanding and treatment of infectious, autoimmune, and neoplastic skin disease. The detailed understanding of immune cells, such as Th17 cells in psoriasis, and of the cytokines they produce allows us to design new therapeutics that have the potential to revolutionize our treatment of skin diseases. Noted researchers will present data, often obtained from their own laboratories that will enhance the participants understanding of the immunological basic of some of the most common diseases we see in dermatology, including psoriasis and melanoma.
- Arron, Sarah T., MD, PhD: Amyris, Inc. – C(H); Biossance – C(H); Castle Biosciences – I(S); Castle Creek Pharmaceuticals – C(H); Enspectra Health – C(H); Genentech, Inc. – E(ST), I(S); Gerson Lehrman Group – C(H); LEO Pharma, US – I(S); Menlo Therapeutics – I(S); Pennside Partners – C(H); Pfizer Inc. – I(S); Rakuten Aspyrian – C(H); Regeneron – C(H); Sanofi Genzyme – C(H); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – C(H), I(S);
- Gudjonsson, Johann E., MD: AbbVie – I(Grants/Research Funding); Genentech, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); miRagen Therapeutics, Inc. – C(H); Novartis – A(H); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Hwang, Sam, MD, PhD: Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Kraemer, Kenneth Howard, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Lee, Delphine J., MD, PhD: Biogen – SH(NC);
- Miller, Lloyd S., MD, PhD: Boehringer Ingelheim – I(Grants/Research Funding); Medimmune – I(Grants/Research Funding); Moderna Therapeutics – I(Grants/Research Funding); Noveome Biotherapeutics – SH(ST); Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Tartar, Danielle, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Dr. Hwang / Introduction
Dr. Tartar / A complex immune system made simple
Dr. Miller / Immune system and protection from Staph aureus
Dr. Gudjonsson / Update on the immunology of psoriasis
Dr. Lee / Immunology and Immunotherapy of Melanoma
Dr. Arron / Update on non-melanoma skin cancer
Dr. Kraemer / Disorders of DNA repair
Dr. Hwang / Summary and Questions