C009 - Structure and Function of the Skin: Pigment, Appendages, Damage & Repair
Saturday, March 2; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Analyze features of hair disorders and describe rational approaches to therapy
- Describe key components of wound healing
- Recognize how UV promotes NMSC and identify molecular features of BCC and SCC. Distinguish the various skin appendages and describe their functions. Describe diseases associated with dysfunction of appendageal structures. Assess how common skin disorders appear in pigmented skin.
This course is a collaborative effort between the AAD and SID; with the Society for Investigative Dermatology providing guidance in course organization and speaker selection. There are three modules in this course curriculum. This module will focus on hair disorders, diseases in pigmented skin, skin appendages, skin cancer and wound healing. Examples will be shown of how skin biology is being translated into patient care. The curriculum is a basic overview of skin biology for residents and dermatologists. Bring a print or electronic copy of the handouts to facilitate following the lectures.
- Cho, Raymond J., MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Cotsarelis, George, MD: Allergan, Inc – I(Grants/Research Funding); Cassiopea S.p.A. – C(Fees); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Follica – A(H), F(SO); JW Pharmaceutical Corp – I(Grants/Research Funding); LEO Laboratories Ltd (LEO Pharma) – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Glass, Donald A. II, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Kirby, Joslyn S., MD: AbbVie – SP(H); ChemoCentryx – C(Fees); Incyte Corporation – C(H);
- Seykora, John T., MD, PhD: PIQUR Therapeutics – I(Grants/Research Funding); Rohto Pharmaceutical – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Woodley, David T., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, March 2
Dr. Seykora / “Appendageal Glands and Associated Diseases”
Dr. Kirby / “Modern Management of Acne, Rosacea, and HS”
Dr. Cotsarelis / “Hair Biology and Disease”
Dr. Woodley / “Wound Healing: Basic and Updated Information"
Dr. Cho / “Somatic Mutation and Skin Cancer"
Dr. Glass / “Differences in Pigmentation, Appendages, Damage and Repair across Diverse Skin Types”