U005 - Urticaria Management
Friday, March 1; 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Perform the appropriate routine tests for chronic urticaria, as well as further investigations if indicated. Employ urticaria-specific tools for the assessment of disease severity and impact on patient quality of life.
- Update knowledge on the use of antihistamines in chronic urticaria and off-licence increase in dose. Summarize the mechanism of anti-IgE monoclonal antibody, omalizumab, and its safe and effective administration for chronic urticaria.
- Implement a treatment plan for best patient care based on clinical guideline recommendations and further therapy options. Compare US and European guidelines and evaluate the main differences in stepwise treatment algorithms.
This session will focus on the current concepts in the management of chronic urticaria, a disease characterized by the development of itchy wheals, angioedema or both, lasting for longer than 6 weeks. It is a debilitating condition with prevalence of around 1% of the world’s population. Clinical management may be particularly challenging in cases where there is no specific eliciting trigger, a subtype now defined as chronic spontaneous urticaria (CSU). The use of a simplified algorithm to guide treatment steps is helpful, and the joint initiative EAACI/GA2LEN/EDF/WAO has recently published an updated version, with key differences to the US guideline.
- Baker, Diane Romayne, MD: Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding); sanofi-aventis – O(Grants/Research Funding);
- Baker, James, MD: Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Regeneron – O(Grants/Research Funding); sanofi-aventis – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Leslie, Tabi Anika, MBBS: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Tharp, Michael D., MD: BestDoctors – C(Fees); Medical Information Network – F(S); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – C(H); Unilever Home & Personal Care USA – A(Grants/Research Funding);
Dr. Leslie / Chronic Urticaria treatment guidelines – International and US perspectives
Dr. Baker / Antihistamines in Chronic Urticaria
Dr. Baker / Omalizumab in Chronic Urticaria
Dr. Tharp / Other therapeutic options for Chronic Urticaria
All faculty / Question and Answer