U036 - Addressing Unmet Needs in Diverse Populations: Therapeutic, Aesthetic, and Investigational Approaches
Saturday, March 2; 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- 1. Identify and distinguish barriers to optimal treatment implementation and compliance in dermatologic patients of diverse skin types, ethnicities and cultures.
- 2. Formulate strategies to address unmet needs for diverse patient populations in clinical and investigational settings within medical and procedural dermatology.
- 3. Develop treatment plans that maximize safety and outcomes in diverse patient populations, through analysis of evidence-based and experiential data.
Obstacles to achieving the safest and best outcomes for patients of color or specific ethnicities include insufficient data on anatomy, physiology and morphotypes; suboptimal assessment tools; and sociocultural considerations. This session will provide dermatologists in practice and training with better appreciation of these obstacles, prospective and proactive strategies to address them, and ability to deliver more appropriate/effective therapeutic and procedural care. Interactive presentations including hyperpigmentation, dermatological procedures, communication within healthcare systems, cultural competence and barriers to study subject recruitment and retention will be discussed from evidence-based and experiential perspectives. Clinical case scenarios will be presented to enhance understanding of treatment nuances.
- Desai, Seemal R., MD: AbbVie – I(Grants/Research Funding); Almirall – C(Fees), SP(H); Cassiopea SpA – C(H); Dermavant Sciences – A(Fees); Dermira – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding), SP(H); Dr. Reddy – I(Grants/Research Funding); Foundation for Research & Education of Dermatology – A(Fees); Galderma Laboratories, LP – C(Fees); Menlo Therapeutics – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Ortho Dermatologics – C(H), SP(H); Pfizer Inc. – SP(H); Ralexar Therapeutics, Inc – I(Grants/Research Funding); Scientis – C(H), SP(H); SkinCeuticals LLC – C(H);
- Sundaram, Hema A., MD: Allergan, Inc – C(H); Allergan, Inc. – SH(NC); Almirall – C(H); Biopelle, Inc. – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Daewoong Pharmaceuticals – C(H); Eclipse Medical – C(EQ); Evolus, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Galderma USA – I(Grants/Research Funding); Hugel – C(H); IBSA – C(H); Menarini Group – C(H); Merz Aesthetics – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Recros Medica – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); SkinCeuticals LLC – C(H); Strathspey Crown – SH(NC); Syneron, Inc. – C(H); TEOXANE Laboratories – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding);
Saturday, March 2
Dr. Sundaram / Introduction and Overview of Session
Dr. Desai / Unmet Needs in Medical Dermatology
Dr. Sundaram / Unmet Needs in Procedural Dermatology
All faculty / Audience-Interactive Discussion
Dr. Sundaram / Conclusion of Session