U041 - Pediatric Vulvar Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment
Saturday, March 2; 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Approach the patient in an appropriate manner, putting provider, parent, and patient at ease.
- Recognize common and uncommon vulvar dermatoses in children and identify treatment algorithms.
- Recognize special situations of this vulnerable population, and recognize vulvar concerns from a gynecologic perspective.
Pediatric vulvar dermatology is an underappreciated area of dermatology. This session is based on the knowledge gleaned in a multidisciplinary "Pediatric Vulvar Dermatology" clinic at a large tertiary referral center. This session's goal is for dermatology providers of all levels to understand the approach to doing a genital exam, to feel confident in their diagnosis and treatment plans, and to recognize "must not miss" circumstances such as abuse. From a pediatric dermatologist and pediatric gynecologist's perspectives, this session will provide a framework for learners to optimize the care of children with vulvar conditions. Equipping dermatologists with the knowledge and confidence to approach these patients is the first step, and recognizing the most common and most concerning conditions is second. Lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, vitiligo, metastatic crohn's disease, foreign objects, infections, and other conditions including abuse will be covered.
- Fowler, Kylie, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Marathe, Kalyani, MD, MPH: Eli Lilly and Company – I(Grants/Research Funding); Sanova Works – Independent Contractor(H);
Saturday, March 2
Fowler / Pediatric Vulvar Diseases: Gynecologic concerns and "Do not Miss" Diagnoses
Dr. Marathe / Pediatric Vulvar Diseases: Common Conditions and Treatment Algorithms