U054 - Basics of Patch Testing from the American Contact Dermatitis Society
Sunday, March 3; 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize when to consider patch testing in patient care.
- Outline a stepwise approach to performing patch testing, including choosing supplies for optimal outcomes.
- Implement best practices for patient counseling once patch testing is completed.
Allergic contact dermatitis is one of the most common diagnoses seen in dermatology, and patch testing is the gold standard for diagnosis. This session is meant to be a practical session addressing the mechanics of patch testing. We'll discuss how to choose patients to patch test, as well as the specifics of the actual week of patch testing. A stepwise approach will be outlined to simplify the process. We will provide an overview of patch test supplies available to start or enhance your patch test clinic. Finally, we will review best practices for patient counseling after patch testing.
- Chen, Jennifer, MD: AbbVie – I(Grants/Research Funding); Dermira – I(Grants/Research Funding); Sanofi/Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Katta, Rajani, MD: Vichy Laboratoires – A(H);
- Lampel, Heather P., MD, MPH: Merz Aesthetics – E(S);
- Sheehan, Michael P., MD: Celgene – SP(H);
Dr. Chen / Choosing when to patch test patients
Dr. Sheehan / The mechanics of performing patch testing
Dr. Lampel / Selecting materials to perform patch testing
Dr. Katta / How to counsel patients with positive allergen reactions