U067 - Disparities in Dermatology
Sunday, March 3; 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Define health and healthcare disparities and provide examples in dermatology.
- Describe strategies for engaging minority patients in dermatologic research.
- Identify methods to provide culturally competent care to patients.
Disparities in dermatology are under-recognized and largely unaddressed in the educational curriculum and clinical practice. This session will focus on defining health and healthcare disparities, providing examples of disparities in dermatology, discussing ways to engage minority patients in dermatologic research, and introducing methods for practicing culturally competent care.
- Pandya, Amit G., MD: Aclaris Therapeutics Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Clarify Medical Inc. – B(ST); Incyte Corporation – I(Grants/Research Funding); Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Takeshita, Junko, MD, PhD: Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Taylor, Susan C., MD: Aclaris Therapeutics, Inc. – A(H), I(Grants/Research Funding), SP(H); Allergan, Inc – A(H), Speaker/Faculty Education(NC); Almirall – A(H); Avon Products, Inc. – C(H); Beiersdorf, Inc. – A(H), C(H), Speaker/Faculty Education(H); Boots – A(H); CannTec – B(H); Croma-Pharma GmbH Austria – I(Grants/Research Funding); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Grants/Research Funding); Galderma Laboratories, L.P. – A(H); Galderma Laboratories, LP – Speaker/Faculty Education(H); Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Company – A(H); KGL Skin Study Center – Independent Contractor(S); Neostrata – C(H); Unilever – SP(H);
Dr. Takeshita / Disparities in Dermatology: Definitions and Examples
Dr. Taylor / Engaging Minority Patients in Clinical Research
Dr. Pandya / Culturally Competent Care: Best Practices and Tipes
All faculty / Q&A With Speakers