S006 - Cutaneous Lupus and Dermatomyositis: Management Pearls and Pitfall for the General Dermatologist
Friday, March 1; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Appropriately diagnose patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus and dermatomyositis.
- Develop a treatment algorithm that incorporates modalities including sun protection, topical therapies, and antimalarials.
- Describe associated systemic complications of lupus and dermatomyositis and screen appropriately for them.
A case-based approach will be utilized to describe practical clinical scenarios that will enable the resident or general dermatologist to appropriately diagnose and manage patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus and dermatomyositis. Participants will learn to develop treatment algorithms that incorporate modalities such as sun protection, topical therapies, antimalarials and retinoids. The evidence for the effectiveness of these agents and their safe use in adults and children will be reviewed. Participants will be able to identify when to initiate systemic immunosuppressive therapy and/or refer to other specialists.
- Clarke, Jennie T., MD: Myriad Genetics Inc – E(S);
- Femia, Alisa, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Foulke, Galen Toye, MD: Gilead Sciences – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Hansen, Christopher B., MD: Pfizer Inc. – I(Fees);
- Vleugels, Ruth Ann, MD: Pfizer Inc. – I(Fees);
- Wetter, David A., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Dr. Clarke / Introduction
Dr. Wetter and Dr. Foulke / Management of Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus
All faculty / Cutaneous Lupus Q&A
Dr. Femia and Dr. Vleugels / Management of Dermatomyositis
All faculty / Dermatomyositis Q&A
Dr. Hansen / Management of Non-specific Manifestations of Cutaneous Lupus and Dermatomyositis
All faculty / Final Q&A