S017 - Translating Evidence into Practice: Primary Cutaneous Melanoma Guidelines
Friday, March 1; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Apply current national guidelines for cutaneous melanoma to clinical practice, including biopsy techniques, pathology evaluation, baseline/surveillance studies, surgical management.
- Utilize changes in the AJCC 8th Edition melanoma staging system for pathologic diagnosis, with attention to impact on patient selection for sentinel node biopsy in T1 melanoma.
- Recognize and manage dermatologic side effects of novel immunotherapy and targeted agents for advanced melanoma.
This session provides evidence-based recommendations for the management of cutaneous melanoma (AJCC stages 0-II), utilizing current AAD and NCCN clinical practice guidelines. Members of the AAD and NCCN melanoma guidelines panels and others will address appropriate biopsy techniques, pathology assessment (including AJCC 8th edition staging), baseline/surveillance studies, sentinel lymph node biopsy, surgery (including Mohs and other staged excision techniques) and newer adjuvant therapies for node-positive melanoma. Treatment of dermatologic side effects related to newer systemic therapies for advanced melanoma will be covered, along with comparison of international melanoma guidelines, focusing on those employed in Australia and New Zealand.
- Curiel-Lewandrowski, Clara N., MD: Amgen – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Durham, Alison Bates, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Guitera, Pascale, MD, PhD: Caliber Imaging and Diagnostics Inc. – Speaker/Faculty Education(Grants/Research Funding);
- Kwong, Bernice, MD: Genentech, Inc. – C(Fees);
- Nelson, Kelly C., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Swetter, Susan M., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Tetzlaff, Michael, MD, PhD: Myriad Genetics Inc – A(Fees); Novartis – A(Fees); Seattle Genetics – C(Fees);
- Tsao, Hensin, MD, PhD: Asana Biosciences, LLC – I(Grants/Research Funding); Epiphany Dermatology – A(H); Massachusetts General Hospital – E(S); Relay Therapeutics – I(Grants/Research Funding); UpToDate, Inc. – O(H); Worldcare Clinical, LLC – C(H);
- Wisco, Oliver J., DO: Castle Biosciences – Speaker/Faculty Education(Fees); Clearpath Solutions Group – C(Fees); MiMedx Group, Inc – C(Fees), SH(ST);
Dr. Swetter / Introduction
Dr. Tetzlaff / Pathology Reporting and AJCC Staging
Dr. Durham / Biopsy Techniques and Primary Surgery
Dr. Wisco / Staged Excision/Mohs Surgery for Lentigo Maligna
Dr. Nelson / Alternative Therapies for Lentigo Maligna
Dr. Swetter / Workup/Follow-Up
Dr. Curiel-Lewandrowski / Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
Dr. Tsao / Newer Adjuvant Therapies for Metastatic Melanoma
Dr. Guitera / Contrast with Australian Guidelines
Dr. Kwong / Dermatologic Toxicities of Melanoma Drugs