S056 - Systemic Medications for the Dermatology Toolbox
Monday, March 4; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Discuss and apply recommendations concerning appropriate laboratory evaluations and monitoring of patients on systemic medications.
- Review appropriate dosing for each medication.
Despite the long history of use of systemic medications in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the skin, many dermatologists avoid the use of these medications due to lack of familiarity with such medications and concerns for patient safety. When used appropriately, systemic medications can be an effective treatment option. This session will concisely review a number of these medications, including their mechanism of action, dosing, adverse effects, and monitoring guidelines in adults. The medications to be reviewed include: azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil, cyclosporine, dapsone, colchicine, potassium iodide, hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, and acitretin. This session is aimed towards general dermatologists and residents.
- Bangert, Carolyn A., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Chen, Cynthia L., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Diaz, Lucia Zoraida, MD: Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(NC); Pfizer Inc. – I(NC), Speaker/Faculty Education(Non-accredited CME Education Grant); UpToDate, Inc – O(H);
- Fett, Nicole, MD: La Roche-Posay Laboratorie Pharmaceutique – I(Fees); Pfizer Inc. – I(Fees);
- Jahan-Tigh, Richard Reza, MD, MS: Boehringer Ingelheim – I(S);
- Kurtzman, Drew, MD: UpToDate, Inc. – Independent Contractor(H);
- Mays, Steven Randolph, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Paravar, Taraneh, MD: UpToDate, Inc – O(H);
- Schneider, Jeremy Adam, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Dr. Paravar / Potassium Iodide
Dr. Chen / Mycophenolate mofetil
Dr. Paravar and Dr. Chen / Q&A
Dr. Mays / Dapsone
Dr. Bangert / Cyclosporine
Dr. Bangert and Dr. Mays / Q&A
Dr. Fett / Hydroxychloroquine
Dr. Schneider / Colchicine
Dr. Kurtzman / Methotrexate
Dr. Schneider and Dr. Kurtzman / Q&A
Dr. Diaz / Azathioprine
Dr. Jahan-Tigh / Acitretin
Dr. Diaz and Dr. Jahan-Tigh / Q&A